Poll of a Billion Monkeys

Monday, August 14, 2006

Labyrinth - My Recovery

Labyrinth - My Recovery

As some of you may or may not know I cracked a rib (or had it cracked for me I should say) about four and a half weeks ago.

I didn't go to the doc other than for the X-ray in which he told me I had a little internal bleeding etc., but I did use the downtime as an opportunity to develop my own rehab program. Which I've been following as best I can work and other things not interfering. I've also been meaning to keep a sort of rehabilitation logue but haven't really made any formalized entries because of work and other things. But I want to make a couple of entries for the sake of future comparison and so that one day if necessary I can improve my rehab program.


August 14, 2006 - I have alternated a lot between hot and cold treatments, as well as light strain and resistance, and a lot of massage to the muscle tissue surrounding the injury.


Today I was able to do the following:

I hiked three laps around the yard which when laid out flat is about 3/4 to 4/5 of a mile.
I was able to run about half a mile, though it was a light jog. In boots but with no pack.
I was able to run one set of wind sprints. Lightly and without bending all the way to the ground on the touch.
I was able to do a couple of light sets of jumping jacks (about 30 each) and a set of lunges.
I was able to do 10 push-ups on the diving board but had to stop at that because of the strain and I have no interest in reinjuring myself.
I was able to finish cleaning the old house so that we can get new occupants and was able to haul a couple of loads of trash.
I composed a piece of music on the computer without feeling much strain from leaning forward.
Yesterday I sat in those temporary hard chairs at church (while the place is being expanded) for both services and although my lower back hurt my chest was okay.

I was able to do all of those things without any real pain though I did stop once on my hike due to some pain in my side at the area of the injury. It passed quickly though. I feel some tightness and a little strain as I type this but no aching and chronic pain like before.


By the end of the week I hope to be back to all normal work without noticing any pain. Or much anyway. I don't expect the pain to make me have to knock off early in any case.
I think I will be able to do some light plyometrics (which I miss doing as they are some of my favorite exercises), be lifting light weights, hiking with light pack (maybe), stretching and Hatha Yoga, maybe riding my Mountain Bike (once I repair her) and possibly hitting the baseball. I don't expect I'll be throwing the discuss for another two to three weeks cause of what it could do to me.

In another month or so I expect to be back to my normal physical training routine and hopefully not feeling any injury pain.
I've also been going to bed about 10 or 11 in the evening instead of 3 or 4 in the morning (unless I have surveillance or some kinda case to work) and waking up at 6. The extra rest has really made me feel much better and sped my recovery, especially in the last week or so.


So I feel pretty good at the way things are going right now in my recovery.
I'm cooled down now from my workout so I'm gonna go take a cold shower.

See ya later.

No comments: